Student and Medical Education
Southwest Medical Group: Education/Internship continuously offers programs that encourage and expose young people, throughout the Four Corners Region, to the field of healthcare. The various affiliations listed below were created to do just that. These programs allow students to gain valuable patient care experience to appreciate the true essence of working in a hospital setting.
Download an application for the Summer Intern Program today!
Affiliations: Pueblo Community College/Southwest Colorado Community College • San Juan College • University of New Mexico • Regis University • Colorado Mesa University • University of Colorado • Montezuma-Cortez High School – High School Job Shadowing Program • Dolores High School – High School Job Shadowing Program • Mancos High School – High School Job Shadowing Program
Types of students we see for clinical training: Medical • Nursing • Certified Nursing Assistant • Medical Assistant • Radiology • Physical Therapy • Pharmacy • Phlebotomy • Polysomnographic Technologist • Emergency Medical Technician, Basic • Emergency Medical Technician, Intermediate • Paramedic • Surgical Technician
Departments participating in clinical placement and student education: Intensive Care Unit • Medical/Surgical Nursing Unit • Family Birthing Center • Emergency Department • Operating Room • Pharmacy • Sleep Center • Radiology • Therapy • Medical Group, Walk-In Care • Medical Group, Elm Street • Medical Group, Mancos • Southwest Medical Group, Market • Southwest Medical Group, Elm • Southwest Medical Group, Orthopedics
We also partner with the following local agencies for Emergency Medical Technician education: Cortez Fire and Rescue • Dolores Fire and Rescue • Rico Fire and Rescue • Mancos Fire and Rescue • K9 Search and Rescue
Southwest Memorial Hospital has several public monthly classes on our calendar. Some of the classes regularly offered include:
- Basic Life Support (CPR) – offered twice a month
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support – offered 6 times per year (every other month)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support – offered 6 time per year (alternates months with ACLS)
- Prepared Child Birthing Class – offered once a month, each class is once a week for 3 weeks.
- Diabetic Support Group – offered monthly by the Diabetic Educator
- Outpatient nutrition and diabetes counseling
- Cooking Matters (nutrition and cooking classes at Montezuma-Cortez HS, Cortez MS, Southwest Open School)
- Cooking Matters at the Store (shopping tours at various grocery stores)
- Southwest Health System Wellness including cooking demos for employees
- Monthly Lunch and Learns on various nutrition topics at Southwest Memorial Hospital
- Eat Local Eat Healthy Montezuma
- Lunch and Learns for the City of Cortez
- Nutrition talks at the Cortez Recreation Center
- Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation individual and group nutrition classes
For information regarding any of these programs or classes, call Education Coordinator Meghan Higman at 564-2160.